UNICEF is a United Nations unit focusing on raising awareness in children’s rights to ensure every child receive all benefits on equal terms. Having the same determination, Sansiri was honoured to become UNICEF Thailand’s partner in building cooperation, protection and promotion of children’s rights. They have signed an MOU to cooperate in project developments for youth in a constant and sustainable manner.
From July 2010, Sansiri and UNICEF have cooperated in promoting awareness of the impact of iodine deficiency disorders (IDD) which have been harming development of Thai children for more than 50 years. This campaign has led to a successful attempt in legislating Universal Salt Iodisation in Thailand. Cooperation between Sansiri and UNICEF has still continued in order to develop children’s quality of life. Many child-friendly initiatives have been implemented, beginning from within the company before being expanded to Sansiri business partners in a bid to contribute to the society at large. International assistance has also been provided.
Below are examples of Sansiri and UNICEF’s implementation of child-friendly practices:
- Advocacy for the end of child labour by signing an agreement with contractors to forbid the use of child labour in every of Sansiri construction sites;
- Provision of child-friendly spaces at Sansiri construction sites for children of construction workers to play and learn;
- Establishment of Breastfeeding Room featuring a hygienic breast milk storage facilities, and a children’s playroom at Sansiri offices to encourage breastfeeding among Sansiri employees;
- Arrangement of child-care training courses for Sansiri employees to raise awareness of children’s rights;
- Implementation of the “Best Start” campaign from 2013 to promote awareness in the importance of investment in early childhood development;
- Promotion of awareness in children’s rights to play through a campaign called “Let’s Play Together”, and provision of sports equipment and training to disadvantaged children;
- Arrangement of field trips for social media influencers to promote education for children from ethnic minority groups and children of migrant workers in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Mae Hong Son in support of an attempt to enforce laws and policies regarding children’s rights protection;
- Implementation of the Iodine Please campaign to promote awareness in iodine deficiency disorders which cause Thai children to have lower IQ scores than standard, through online media and several activities.
- Participation in the attempt to legislate Universal Salt Iodisation, effective since January 1, 2011.
- In contribution to children worldwide, since January 2011, Sansiri has donated one million US dollars annually to the UNICEF Emergency Fund, which is established to provide assistance to children affected by disasters such as the Haiti Earthquake and the Philippines flooding.
Sansiri supported Children’s Cornerstone Foundation (Sermkla) in implementing projects to promote education, sports, and health of Thai children and youth. Among these projects are a fund for children with special needs, a fund for HIV-affected children, a fund for children in need of emergency assistance, and need-based scholarships for children with good academic records. There is also a financial support for a school lunch project in which children sell part of their home-grown food ingredients to generate school income and learn to make a living.
The Baan Dek Foundation is a Thai-registered Foundation based in Chiang Mai that provides vulnerable children with access to 3 essential services: Education, Healthcare, and Safety. Baan Dek supports approx. 1,000 children in need through a variety of programs as well as individual case management. The Foundation also partners with construction companies to address the needs of migrant children whose parents work in construction in Thailand, living in unsafe conditions in temporary construction site camps. In 2015, Sansiri joined up with the Baan Dek Foundation in order to recruit teachers as part of 'The Good Space' campaign. In addition to providing a safe environment for children, 'The Good Space' provides children with education and the opportunity to go to school.
Sansiri has joined up with Mercy Centre to recruit teachers in support of The Good Space campaign in Bangkok Metropolitan Region. Besides providing a safe environment for children, The Good Space is where children at construction sites receive education and a chance to go to school.
Human Development Foundation. We work to help the children and communities of the many slums of Bangkok. Together with our neighbors in the slums we create simple-but-progressive solutions that touch the lives of thousands of the poor every day. We build and operate schools, improve family health and welfare, protect street children’s rights, combat the AIDS crisis, respond to daily emergencies, and offer shelter to orphans, to street children, and to children and adults with AIDS – always together, hand in hand and heart to heart with the people we serve.